PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Strategy Tips

djeffectz
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
2k added a Defensive strategy option during gameplay, I found out that using them are key to shutting down your opp. I lab it for 15 game straight and found out which does whats and the advantage and disadvantage of it... You can bring up the Defensive strategy by pushing Right directional...

Xbox 360
A : Pressure shooters
2k is being very gentle for 3 point shooters, I have been in games where my opp went 10/15 in 3's, as i was labbing this strategy I notice 3's weren't dropping anymore, I now holding my opp somewhere below 30% or less, and Im kidding? None I'm not...

THE GOOD you dont have to try and user block the 3 for them to miss, you just sit back and let the cpu control the defender, you will see misses, even your player just have his arm raise to contest the shoot..

THE BAD your player will try aggressively try and contest, that means he will be pone to pump faking...

X : Focus on Stars
This is a must, if your online opp is abusing their star players, I played one dude that used the Heats and all he did was drive with James, and he only scored 10 points with him all game, those points came from fast break points...

THE GOOD your defense will focus on the star players on the court, if James and Wade on the court both times you will see your player will try to go after the steal when the pass is attended to them, or if they have the ball you will see other defenders leave their man to help with the double team.

The BAD Open shooters If the person youre playing against uses his whole team... If the defenders go for the steal and misses, its all she wrote.

Tip : When using this option, let the cpu play man to man with their star player, dont worry hes not going anywhere and predict where the star player will pass next.

B : Lock down Paint
THE GOOD, This option can be used for different reasons, if your opp is abusing the paint or you want a rebound and etc... When my opp is trying to score inside and I chose this option i notice my whole team collapse to the paint leaving space for 3 pointers, I only use this after a shot, for my players to get the rebound or I use it to help on Duncan, Howard.

THE BAD, You will leave some space for 3 point shots, its pick your poison, do you want to give up paint points or 3 points shots.

Tip : When you use this option, quickly click on one of your guards to get ready to guard 3point shooters.

Y : Constant Pressure
Use this if youre trying to force turnovers, your players will play close up to their man, I use this the most cause it adds pressure to shooters...

The BAD, if your opp is a great lead passer, he can score at will by manually cutting his player to the rim...

Tip : When you use this option, Youre player will get beat off the dribble, use your C and stand around the rim, dont worry about their shooters, if they did get a shot off, it will be contested..

I use all these options as much as I could, I even use all of them in one possession...

*** Combination Defensive commands ***

- Constant Pressure, Pressure shooters

If your opp is shooting 3's in transition or passing it around looking for a 3... Hold LT and then Hold LB but release it when your opp is getting ready to pass, your help defender will then run back to his man that he was guarding before, its tricking your opp..
and use Pressure shooters, your players will play tight and will auto contest or you can manual contest it yourself... Great defense for the Warriors

- Constant Pressure, Lockdown the paint

Your opp will think youre in pressure shooters cause youre defenders will be up on his player grill, he then will try to drive (if hes a heat or laker user) when you see that you quickly use lockdown the Paint option and switch to your C...

- Focus on Superstars, pressure shooters

Only use this if your opp only has one superstar on the star, if you use this option the cpu will get confused on who to double if your opp has more than 1 superstar on the floor, if only one star, the defense will focus on him, getting ready to double if he drives, good players will drive to sucking your outside defenders into the paint, thats where you switch to PF or C and use pressure shooters... (alot of Heats user do this method to take advantage of Miller and House 3 point shooting)

After the first quarter of play, you should already know your opp strategy, you should know if he likes to use abuse his starplayer, likes to shoot the 3, drive and dish to a 3point shooter or all of the above
Thats when these combination of commands is very useful, you will need these against a top notch player that uses his whole team to win...

By switching back and forth quickly it will surely confuse your Opp...
Try switching man to zone, I usually start out in 1-3-1 zone and cover the corners by switching back and forth with my SF and SG once I let him know that I got that covered switch to man and lockdown the paint cause he will be driving...

Its so easy to score in this year game, its really annoying, Defense wins in this game, last year it was offense...

BucketsToMake
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks! ;D

WARRIORBALL510
10-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Nice breakdown effectz! Preciate the way you took time to breakdown defense

nyhustler208
10-13-2011, 02:50 AM
nice I appreciate this

tatrapuder
10-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Good work! Superpost

jeromaxus
10-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks for your post djeffectz. I was also labbing with this for the past few days, and I also find it useful.

Just one concern though... Will these new def/off strategy option work with the old play-calling system? or will it conflict and override any preceding command?

Example: you call a "man-to-man defense" via the right button, then you call a "lockdown paint" via the left button... what will happen then?:confused:

Semaj
10-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Gonna try these tips out ASAP! Thanks bruh.

NaturalBornGEE
10-13-2011, 05:39 AM
yeah good post mate. Obviously you can't do this in my player it only gonna affect online play and association modes.

WhyUQuit
10-13-2011, 06:27 AM
You are the most insightful person on this site. big ups too you. we should play some time. mgs me your GT if you are on the 360

dsingleton82
10-13-2011, 03:05 PM
dope breakdown. question, do you run man to man or zones when using this?

dreezy10
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Great post man!

I'm looing forward to your video and offense strategy!

thilanwij
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Great job! ill be looking forward to the video about using this!

stepfdelaghetto
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
great breakdown

suicideballer
10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Good looking out man, really appreciate it...quite possibly this is one reason why offense seems so easy, because most ppl so far have ignored these defensive strategies pretty much...top post!

y2tre
10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks, I need this site bad. I have not played NBA2k in years and i suck. This will help me out a lot thanks player

Melvinbiggz
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
P90X of 2K12 lol, thanks you bruh awsome post.

dsingleton82
10-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Man those tips help A LOT. I held my last 2 opponents under 40% behind the arc. Out of the 3 games i played, everyone is throwing 3s up

nyhustler208
10-16-2011, 02:05 PM
OMFG these tips work so good, I had my friends so mad at playing me because there shots wont go in its so funny. This thread is the best thread on this site especially when you use teams like OKC that all there starters defense is above 85

IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE OFFENSIVE STRAT

Teenjames23
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
man i love this tip this might be the answer to all my prayers on defense

insanitydj
10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
this is all really just common sense stuff here..people who need a breakdown of this shouldn't be playing 2k

LarryL3g3nd
10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
this is all really just common sense stuff here..people who need a breakdown of this shouldn't be playing 2k Haha real shit though..

ehiggi65
10-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Good stuff yo, I'm gonna put this into action. Great to know that you can chose a base def and use the y, x,a and b to enhance your def.

slim-f-baby
10-20-2011, 06:45 AM
2k added a Defensive strategy option during gameplay, I found out that using them are key to shutting down your opp. I lab it for 15 game straight and found out which does whats and the advantage and disadvantage of it... You can bring up the Defensive strategy by pushing Right directional...

Xbox 360
A : Pressure shooters
2k is being very gentle for 3 point shooters, I have been in games where my opp went 10/15 in 3's, as i was labbing this strategy I notice 3's weren't dropping anymore, I now holding my opp somewhere below 30% or less, and Im kidding? None I'm not...

THE GOOD you dont have to try and user block the 3 for them to miss, you just sit back and let the cpu control the defender, you will see misses, even your player just have his arm raise to contest the shoot..

THE BAD your player will try aggressively try and contest, that means he will be pone to pump faking...

X : Focus on Stars
This is a must, if your online opp is abusing their star players, I played one dude that used the Heats and all he did was drive with James, and he only scored 10 points with him all game, those points came from fast break points...

THE GOOD your defense will focus on the star players on the court, if James and Wade on the court both times you will see your player will try to go after the steal when the pass is attended to them, or if they have the ball you will see other defenders leave their man to help with the double team.

The BAD Open shooters If the person youre playing against uses his whole team... If the defenders go for the steal and misses, its all she wrote.

Tip : When using this option, let the cpu play man to man with their star player, dont worry hes not going anywhere and predict where the star player will pass next.

B : Lock down Paint
THE GOOD, This option can be used for different reasons, if your opp is abusing the paint or you want a rebound and etc... When my opp is trying to score inside and I chose this option i notice my whole team collapse to the paint leaving space for 3 pointers, I only use this after a shot, for my players to get the rebound or I use it to help on Duncan, Howard.

THE BAD, You will leave some space for 3 point shots, its pick your poison, do you want to give up paint points or 3 points shots.

Tip : When you use this option, quickly click on one of your guards to get ready to guard 3point shooters.

Y : Constant Pressure
Use this if youre trying to force turnovers, your players will play close up to their man, I use this the most cause it adds pressure to shooters...

The BAD, if your opp is a great lead passer, he can score at will by manually cutting his player to the rim...

Tip : When you use this option, Youre player will get beat off the dribble, use your C and stand around the rim, dont worry about their shooters, if they did get a shot off, it will be contested..

I use all these options as much as I could, I even use all of them in one possession...

I played a top 100 ranked player, his name is LeGeNdary168, he uses the Rockets...

Whenever he has the ball around the 3point line, I use Y : (constant pressure) when he cant get the shot off and try to iso with Williams, I use B : (Lock down Paint) if he tries to powerdunk or score inside since I know hes not a great shooter, my man will easily get in his way, he was trying to do that all game but with my defensive tactic, I won easy 64-31

IF you memorize this options
you can switch back and forth quickly, adjusting to what your opp is trying to do...

I will record a video of one of my games online and give you a better feel of what Im trying to explain...

I am currently on a 20 game win streak, since this game is noob friendly its rare you will see a 20 game or more win streak...lol

I hope you guys understand I will update more on it....

Sorry for the bad grammars, I just got off of a 13hr shift so im kinda tired...

I will do the Offensive strategy later this weekend...

man thx for giving this details but im really tired figuring out a way 2 shut down shooters actually they automatic from beyond the arc and inside contact shots and if i tried to reject them or put a hand in thier faces they draw the fouls any solutions plz help n thx again

KebertXela
10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I just have one question about using these strategies, how do you set your defense back to normal once you have selected one of the four options? Do you select the same one again or something? or does it reset every time you go back on defense?

thilanwij
10-21-2011, 03:16 PM
I just have one question about using these strategies, how do you set your defense back to normal once you have selected one of the four options? Do you select the same one again or something? or does it reset every time you go back on defense?

theres a coach default button i believe (i think LT on Xbox when u bring up that screen)

alwaysnsomething
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I found out a new way to play defense if ur opponent pg have the ball use ur sg but when u use him play off alittle from whoever ur sg was holding. When I say play a little off I mean like stay in the passing lane but try to have ur sg in the middle that way he can still get back to his sg. It looks like u r playing zone with ur sg. Watch how fast u confuse ur opponent. Do that with evry one its going to look like u playing man/zone.pg/ contain with sg.sg.contain with pg. Sf get ball contain with pf. C.get ball contain with Sf. Watch what I mean.

igotjayz23
11-04-2011, 03:56 AM
how bout the guys wholl just dribble wait til you relax then just shoot i play in a 12 minute sim league dude had 10 assist the whole game lol and just shot jumpers waited for space of for you to give a little space then shoot or when u presuure just drive and shoot he pulled away

mizza23
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Great post. Also found this helpful....

For. those of u having trouble with on ball d go to YouTube and search for strategy session:7 . After watching the vid. N doing lab work on the things da czar highlights I've found myself playing much better d. Check it out. Every year he has great vids. The an author on YouTube is precise40.. I don't kno if he's da czar but if he is good looks. Psn. Mizza23

thilanwij
11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
how bout the guys wholl just dribble wait til you relax then just shoot i play in a 12 minute sim league dude had 10 assist the whole game lol and just shot jumpers waited for space of for you to give a little space then shoot or when u presuure just drive and shoot he pulled away

Tempt em to shoot. Give enough space for them to think they have a good shot, then use the right thumbstick to contest the shot when u see him shoot. If he drives, at least ur not too close. just try not to fall for his fakes

djeffectz
11-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Tempt em to shoot. Give enough space for them to think they have a good shot, then use the right thumbstick to contest the shot when u see him shoot. If he drives, at least ur not too close. just try not to fall for his fakes

I have very good defense, but everytime I i hold my right thumbstick my defender goes for a wrap up foul, i think my controller is broken..lol

thilanwij
11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I have very good defense, but everytime I i hold my right thumbstick my defender goes for a wrap up foul, i think my controller is broken..lol

Make sure you don't hold RT while ur holding the Right thumbstick cuz i think that might be an intentional foul or maybe its pressing the right thumbstick down. OR it just might ur controller if its neither one of those lol

x JtN
11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
how can i turn it on for My player mode i want to control my defense.

MBM22
11-22-2011, 07:24 PM
good breakdowns im about to use this now already turned on the ps3

djeffectz
11-22-2011, 08:36 PM
bump, new defensive strategy

jan2206
12-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Can you explain what u mean by "Hold LT and then Hold LB but release it when your opp is getting ready to pass, your help defender will then run back to his man that he was guarding before, its tricking your opp.."

I kno the LB is to double team and LT is to play lockdown

fundamentals
12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
thats the main reason i hardly ever play this years game. its entirely too easy to score!!!

chuck2955
12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
haha too easy to score.. play me chuck2955 on xbox and i'll make u shoot below 45% easily

Point Blank
12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Lock Down Paint is trash

Crackillsu
12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
"Hold LT and then Hold LB" i'm sorry, for ps3 what buttons would that be? thanks you don't know how helpful this post was for me

2Crows
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
You are running Man-to-Man.

jan2206
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM
it works with zone too like if are playing 1-3-1 and use pressure shooters, they immediatelly run after the person wit the ball

2kbullie
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
very few comp 4 me dis year

princepill
01-16-2012, 04:02 PM
need sum sliders asap

teebchee
02-08-2012, 01:10 PM
How could be possible if I set in defensive settings to guard somebody play tight then 2 minutes later automatically changes to sag off? Very annoying...

krich40
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
So to stop the typical person who drives in the paint then passes it out or someone who can pass the ball quickly Constant Pressure defense and Pressure Shooter should stop the 3 ball?

CORY GIZZLE 45
04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Big fan of constant pressure !