PDA

View Full Version : How to play shutdown defense.

xpspnikex
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I learned something 2k failed to put in the manual. This tip revolutionized how I play D in this game. To lock on to someone, you have to double click LT. This causes the defender to make contact everytime they drive and plays him up tight. when using this tip, you will see a major improvement to your defense guranteed. Below I will list a few more defensive tips to improve your D even more.

.To contest shots, wait until the defenders toes leave the ground then block. This is the pefect way to contest shots. Hold RT for an aggressive block if your defender is smaller or just Y if your defender is bigger or the same size.

.When playing lock on D, to guard your man watch your feet. You want to keep your feet in front of theirs.

.I always guard my man so when the ball is passed I hit A to switch but I always hold LT and hit it again when they come in guarding distance.

.To avoid easy layups to the basket, to let them go baseline layup. You want to force them inside because thats where your bigs are for help defense.

.To steal the ball, I noticed you will get a lot more steals if when you attempt the steal, make sure they are about arms length away. That is the best way to explain it but once you get a steal, you will realize how far you have to be to get a steal.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If this tips helped you PLEASE comment. I want to know if I helped because it gives me the drive to keep helping y'all out.(This is my second topic). Check out my other topic on how to run plays and comment if they helped too.

LHSLax_D24
02-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Sweet tips. I'll have to see how they work out.

I usually play as the PF, unless some shitty player is in at PF, and I seem to do pretty well. If you followed my GS Association (sig) you will see Anthony Randolph got 8 blocks against the Suns. All of those blocks were user.

fundamentals
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
sounds good man. thanks for the tips

ijordan023
02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
wat about for PS3?

xpspnikex
02-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Same for ps3 i just need dome to translate the controls.Also when ur contest shot and this is very helpful in the paint when you contest the shot push the left stick towards their chest/ front of them. This should stop paint abusers.

sk7684
02-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I learned something 2k failed to put in the manual. This tip revolutionized how I play D in this game. To lock on to someone, you have to double click LT. This causes the defender to make contact everytime they drive and plays him up tight. when using this tip, you will see a major improvement to your defense guranteed. Below I will list a few more defensive tips to improve your D even more.

.To contest shots, wait until the defenders toes leave the ground then block. This is the pefect way to contest shots. Hold RT for an aggressive block if your defender is smaller or just Y if your defender is bigger or the same size.

.When playing lock on D, to guard your man watch your feet. You want to keep your feet in front of theirs.

.I always guard my man so when the ball is passed I hit A to switch but I always hold LT and hit it again when they come in guarding distance.

.To avoid easy layups to the basket, to let them go baseline layup. You want to force them inside because thats where your bigs are for help defense.

.To steal the ball, I noticed you will get a lot more steals if when you attempt the steal, make sure they are about arms length away. That is the best way to explain it but once you get a steal, you will realize how far you have to be to get a steal.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If this tips helped you PLEASE comment. I want to know if I helped because it gives me the drive to keep helping y'all out.(This is my second topic). Check out my other topic on how to run plays and comment if they helped too.

if you turn ur d assist strength all the way to 100 the cpu will actually play d for u wen doulble clicking the L trigger

iwannaboom
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
good looking out on the tips.......

fundamentals
02-17-2010, 08:08 PM
i tried the double click on the LT for stronger lock on defense but it doesnt work for me at all

gmandawiz81
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
that double clickin the lt wont work. notice when you hold the lockdown button yo meter goes down. tap lt wen you get outta position wen defending that way dat meter will recover quicvkly. wen that meter is half full its very difficult to play man d cuz of at the moment fatigue. remember tap never hold. also use those timeouts especially wen youre just getting small leads. defense on this game is about rotation depends on who they have on the floor. so rotate often to keep everyone fresh. never pound the block button tap it gently cuz if you pound it the you'll get this aggressive flagrant foul animation. even wen driving to the basket if you catch trhe defense leaning drive that direction and tap the shot stick in the direction you wanna score cuz hold it or pounding it makes you miss easy layups. also never use the turbo unless you hitting corners wen driving. i realize wen i complaining it was bcuz i was abusing the turbo on off & def. one more thing dont fuck with coaching sliders dat much cuz it will cause your team chemistry to be fucked with. like wen playing with the kings their d pres and help d are low if you turn them up high they will constantly get beat behind and will fall for every pump fake cuz thats not their style. their the type of team that plays loosely and hopes you make a mistake their not the type of team that can force turnovers on a consistant basis.

fundamentals
02-18-2010, 12:11 AM
well homie i was with u somewhat till u got to the last part about the coaching sliders. lol. u are waaaaay wrong! my breakdowns are proven hands down that accurate sliders according to how YOU play and not the team u r using plays works!! u said some good stuff there but the coaching sliders part is all wrong. if i leave the grizzles def pressure at 35 and help defense at 15 ill get blown away. thats what its preset to. so no u r wrong about the sliders. i also know its somewhat to your disadvantage to use the turbo but u have to use it some time.

gmandawiz81
02-18-2010, 12:49 AM
i didnt mean to say dont mess wit da sliders at all datz my bad. i mean if you got a team like da suns you cant really turn up da help d and dpress up pass 65 or 70 bcuz you bringin da suns outta there element cuz there more of a finesse team and defensively they suck. if you turn it up then people will start doin a lot of back door passes. so try not to tweak this team to much cuz you'll bring them to much outta there element. if you playing with a team like atlanta or cleveland you can turn it up cuz just about everybody on these teams are pretty sound defensively to recover and stop back door screens and sharp cutz to da basket no matter how high d press and help d is.

iwannaboom
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I see what Funds and Gman are saying,but i notice that it's all about user ability and control(no RT abuse or constant LT defense).....I'm starting to get the feel for this game and have realized that my frustrations have been from being too 2K-whipped(lol)....2k10 is a different beast all together,but overall it's still the best gm in town

Who Is Next
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I see what Funds and Gman are saying,but i notice that it's all about user ability and control(no RT abuse or constant LT defense).....I'm starting to get the feel for this game and have realized that my frustrations have been from being too 2K-whipped(lol)....2k10 is a different beast all together,but overall it's still the best gm in town

I'd have to say 2K11 will be the greatest basketball game of all time , now with Mike Wang back with Live10/Live11 knowledge and adding on to 2K10. It will be an amazing basketball game.
As for user ability and control, I have to agree with you and that opinion..

show1time
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
How to play lock on defense on your opponent?.....I have a hard time staying in front of my ball-handler, and cutting him off from driving pass me. Could someone give me some more tips.....are you supposed to stay an arms length away from the ball handler or play close up defense? Are you supposed to hold the lock-on defense button or just tap it when the ball handler tries to go pass you. I practice alot in the black top 1 on 1 gaming, will that improve my one on one defense?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!