PDA

View Full Version : Online Defense Tips for a Newb

hawse771
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Ok I got the game about a week ago but have only played a few full games online (don't get me started on it timing it and counting it as a loss and then my POS Xbox doing a cannot read disk that also counted as a loss). Ironically those were the only two games I was probably gonna win. The other 3 online games I played I have gotten destroyed!

I am having major problems with Defense, mostly online but also vs the CPU (though I can still win on All Star most of the time by making up for it with offense).

Why does it ALWAYS seem like when the other player (or CPU) comes down to my side of the court I will only have 1 player (if im lucky) under the goal always making it easy for people to go around my PG and do a dunk/layup. Yet when I go down their side of the court there are always 2-3 people crowding the lanes? This mostly annoys me online since it is their CPU players doing it because they are always guarding my PG with the ball. I normally run man-man defense but even switch it up to 2-3/3-2 but those seem to make it worse sometimes.

I only use the Mavs so does this have anything to do with it? I think online I have only played against Cavs/Nuggets/Warriors all the way through. Is there something I can do to make my CPU players not play like their idiots online? I see coach sliders etc but do those have an effect online? I have thought about upping def pressure/crash the boards (because my rebounding sucks too lol).

Sorry for the long post, I just seem to be lost Defensively and most of the things I read seem like they help more for offline play and I am more interested in enhancing my online game since I do fairly good against the CPU (can normally beat Lakers/Cavs on all star and almost always on Pro).

jon
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Turn down your "Crash Boards" slider some, and consider switching your D to half-court press or man-to-man until your opponent starts to set up their halfcourt offense, then go with a zone (1-3-1 is the favorite around here.)

I'm a Mavs player as well and regardless of what D I set up after I score, I like to pressure the ball handler as soon as he catches the inbounds pass with J. Kidd to buy the rest of my team some time to get back on D. If I'm playing man-to-man, I try to just stay in front of the ball handler and body him up a few times before he crosses onto my court and then go to my zone D or stick with man to man depending on how my opponent's shot selection.

GL

hawse771
03-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Turn down your "Crash Boards" slider some, and consider switching your D to half-court press or man-to-man until your opponent starts to set up their halfcourt offense, then go with a zone (1-3-1 is the favorite around here.)

I'm a Mavs player as well and regardless of what D I set up after I score, I like to pressure the ball handler as soon as he catches the inbounds pass with J. Kidd to buy the rest of my team some time to get back on D. If I'm playing man-to-man, I try to just stay in front of the ball handler and body him up a few times before he crosses onto my court and then go to my zone D or stick with man to man depending on how my opponent's shot selection.

GL

So I should turn crash boards down from the default setting on the mavs (i think its around 65 if I remember correctly)?